Organize local efforts to improve the health of our community by promoting, educating and providing support for breastfeeding.
The Breastfeeding Coalition of San Joaquin County is made up of representatives from local hospitals, WIC programs, community groups, non-profit organizations, health plans, San Joaquin County government agencies, and interested individuals. Anyone interested in the promotion of breastfeeding in San Joaquin County is encouraged to participate in the Coalition. There is no membership fee.
- Increase the number of physicians and other primary healthcare providers in San Joaquin County who include breastfeeding/lactation counseling and referral as part of routine care.
- In accordance with the Healthy People 2020 National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives, increase to at least 80% the proportion of mothers who initiate breastfeeding, increase to at least 60% the proportion who continue to breastfeed until their infants are 6 months old and increase to at least 30% the proportion who continue to breastfeed past one year.
- Provide accurate and consistent breastfeeding support, information and resources to women, families, health professionals and the community.
- Encourage breastfeeding-friendly policies and procedures in all area hospitals, birthing centers, local businesses and workplaces.
- Educate local city and county government officials on the benefits of breastfeeding and involve them in making San Joaquin County baby-friendly.
We are proud to feature photographs from our Positive Images of Breastfeeding photo contests on our website. All of these photographs are
the property of the Breastfeeding Coalition of San Joaquin County and may not be used without the written permission of the coalition.